Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bacon Bonanza #3: The BBC (Bacon, Broccoli and Cheese)

Now for the final recipe in the bacon bonanza. This one was inspired by my friend Lauren who told me I should ad bacon to mac & cheese. I could also say that this was inspired by another friend, Michelle, who I made mac & cheese with a few weeks ago. She suggested we add extra cheese and broccoli, which seemed painfully obvious to me after hearing it but for some reason I've never really done.

Thus the BBC was born: Bacon, Broccoli and Cheese. I hate to admit I used a box for the mac & cheese, but if it is any consolation it was a Trader Joe's variety! I am pretty confident I will be exploring homemade mac & cheese recipes soon enough so I may very well replace this at some point. But if you're a fellow grad student, undergrad or simply breaking the glass to grab that emergency box of mac & cheese here's a good way to jazz up your cheesy cheap dinner.

This was by far my favorite bacon application. The added texture, saltiness and slight meat flavor of the bacon really added to the whole dish.

Bacon, Broccoli and Cheese
Prep Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
  • One box of your favorite macaroni and cheese/shells and cheese/whatever shape and cheese. (I used Trader Joe's Organic White Cheddar and Shells. I highly recommend finding an organic variety. They're not much pricier and I like to think the cheese is real or more real despite still being a powder.)
  • Milk (amount as specified by box... I really discourage using water if you want to a good creamy sauce)
  • Butter (amount as specified by box... this really adds to any box brand. Why oh why do they claim this is optional?)
  • 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated. (I used a slightly sharp yellow cheddar, but you can pick what you'd like. I thought it was a good compliment to my white cheddar box flavor.)
  • 1-2 cups Broccoli, chopped into small florets. (I used one head so unless it's tiny or massive just use one head's worth).
  • 3-4 strips of Bacon, diced into bacon bits.
Directions:
  1. Follow recipe on box.
  2. After mixing in cheese mix, milk and butter, add additional cheese, broccoli and bacon.
  3. Cook on low heat and stir until cheese has melted and broccoli begins to tender.
  4. Enjoy!

2 comments: