Thursday, March 8, 2012

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes

s I lamented in my last post, there is still a little bit of winter to slog through before we get to spring with its asparagus, strawberries and cucumbers followed by the incredible bounty of late spring and summer. So to get us through these last few weeks I decided to use the leftover Brussels sprouts from a recent dish and some incredible potatoes I found at the store to make an easy side dish. Ok ok, I actually ate the whole entire thing as my dinner one night, but I think most folks would agree this seems more fitting along a star like roast chicken or braised meat.

As you can find local Brussels sprouts through the start of spring and potatoes store exceptionally well, this is a great dish to bridge the transition in the seasons. I can easily see myself wrapping the dish in foil and tossing it on the grill next to other grilled vegetables or chicken later this month or early April.

Like most roast veggie dishes, you simply toss all the ingredients in a bowl with oil, spread it on a baking sheet, stick it in the oven and move onto other parts of dinner. Can't get easier than that!

Two small notes... when I first made this I used pine nuts. Don't! While I love pine nuts they really didn't add much to the dish and are among one of the most expensive nuts/seeds. Save yourself the cost and use those pine nuts in some pesto when basil is in season.

Secondly, I highly recommend using Parmesan in this dish. The nutty flavor of Parmesan really enhances the dish, but if you're strictly vegetarian, vegan or trying to keep kosher I will admit that you can still have a great side dish without it.


What are some of your favorite dishes that make use of produce in what Barbara Kingsolver calls "the hungriest month"?

Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Potatoes

by Leran

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Keywords: roast side vegetarian brussels sprouts parmesan potatoes fall winter

Ingredients (serves 4)

  • 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, bottoms trimmed
  • 1/2 pound small potatoes, halved
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated (optional, but the nutty, cheesy flavor really makes the dish)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Additional salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400

2. Combine potatoes, Brussels sprouts, spices and half of Parmesan in a bowl.

3. Add olive oil, toss to coat.

4. Line a bottom of a deep baking pan with foil. Spread mixture out as evenly as possible on pan.

5. Cover in foil and bake for 30 minutes.

6. Remove foil. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.

7. Enjoy!

Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment