Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Update, Excuses, Apologies and Cider!

I'm sorry dear readers for neglecting my treasured blog for so long. Many reasons have contributed to this (read on to discover some of them),  but overall I'll admit laziness was a large part of the equation. I know many of the folks who regularly read this blog have worked on blogs of their own so you know how it can be, but please please PLEASE don't mistake my laziness for apathy or lack of love for my fellow foodies. If it helps here is a cute puppy picture to show there is still lots of love:

I want a puppy! Though I'll take a watermelon, yum.
Everyone feeling good? Ready for the semi-legitimate excuses and exciting updates? Let's get it started!

Brunch Farm: I am excited to announce I have launched a little side project/business called Brunch Farm. The idea was originally to make it an eventual food truck, now I'm not sure what the end goal is except to bake some unique muffins and serve them alongside other brunch type foods using local and seasonal ingredients and sell them to incredible people at Grey DC and other similar events. Check out the link or follow us on Twitter @BrunchFarm for updates and future places to try our food.

Eating Mount Pleasant: Another exciting side project that launched this week is Eating Mount Pleasant. I live in an incredible little neighborhood tucked away in northwest DC with a wide range of food including Korean, amazing pizza and a wide variety of Latin American cuisines. My goal for the next year or two is to visit each of the 20+ eateries and write a review. I am going to revisit many of them to review their brunch/breakfast menus and other specialty menus. If  you're in DC or just curious, please check it out. Let me know if you want to come along, I'm always looking for dining companions!

RECIpage: I'm trying something new on the blog and using a service called RECIpage to better organize recipes, make them easier to share and print. Please let me know what you think of this, I hope it makes this blog more useful to y'all. There is also now a "Recipes" page on the navigation bar at the top of this site, all future recipes will be listed there for easy reference. Speaking of which it's cold outside so I think it's time for cider!

I'm not much of an alcohol fan. No particular reason except for taste, but I do like wine and absolutely love hot apple cider. This recipe is perfect for a party or for a long night in with a special someone. Just a little  red wine for flavor and, um, we'll call it winter cheer! You can make this in a slow cooker if you want to free up the stove or keep it warm for hours during a party, but I use a stock pot and it works just as well.

Hot Apple Cider Sangria

by Leran Minc
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: beverage vegetarian apple cider red wine Christmas Hanukkah Halloween Thanksgiving fall winter

Ingredients (serves 20)
  • 1 750ml bottle of Red wine
  • 1 gallon Apple cider
  • 6 Cinnamon sticks
  • 2 pounds Apple peeled and diced finely (optional)
Instructions
1. Combine wine, apple cider and cinnamon sticks in a stock pot on medium heat. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer.
2. Add apples and cook until apples have softened. (optional)
3. Keep on lowest heat possible until ready to serve.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment