Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bacon Bonanza #1: The Bacon Basics



Don't worry, I didn't JUST make the bacon so no food poisoning or rotten meat here. Just a case of the lazy blogger. This will be the first of a 30 days blogging blitz. In effort to make blogging a habit I'm going to post something everyday until March 16th. Ready? Set? Eat!

Last time on the blog I was trying to figure out what to do with 12 strips of bacon. After consulting with many friends and summoning the wise oracle of Google I settled on baking them. Some friends urged me to fry them, but others assured me baking was a good idea and many blogs from both experts and fellow amateurs said baking was the best way to get quality bacon without lots of mess or energy.

I ate two strips plain just for the sake of tasting and then two the only way a grown man can properly enjoy his bacon served plain: with eggs forming eyes and the bacon forming a smile for a smiley face breakfast!

At least one friend and one blog also suggested baking the bacon with brown sugar on it. I have to say out of this first bacon-y morning this was my favorite thing. The combination of the sweet and meaty saltiness was actually good. Everything else was only ok. I can see why people love bacon, but I'm still not converted.

Basic Bacon Prep
Prep Time: 11 minutes | Servings: Based on the package/your bacon capacity

Ingredients:
  • Bacon
  • Yeh, that's really about it for this one.
Brown sugar variation:
  • 1 tablespoon Brown sugar per bacon strip. (I highly suggest dark brown)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Line a cookie/baking sheet with foil. I recommend using one that has at least some depth (the fat will render out).
  3. Lay bacon strips flat without them touching each other.
  4. Bake in middle rack for 6 minutes
  5. Using tongs or a spatula flip bacon over.
  6. For brown sugar variation: Sprinkle tablespoon of brown sugar on each strip desired
  7. Return to oven for another 5 minutes
  8. Let cool on paper towel (to soak up excess fat. As it cools it will continue to crisp.)

No comments:

Post a Comment